Thursday, April 1, 2010

Freedom Challenge Begins

Today I butt out after 40 years of smoking. Agh! This will be a great challenge, but one I'm determined to win because it's not just about quiting a bad habit; it's about being free of any chains that hold me down. It's just the beginning.

I've spent a lifetime held back by various bad habits, excuses and fears. When I was young I had so many dreams of how my life would turn out; as most young people do, but age and experience quickly taught me that much of what I thought possible wasn't going to happen (we make our plans and God laughs). However, in my case I let too many things interrupt what might have been.

Now I'm middle-aged and realize that some of those dreams are past and it's too late, but what of those that may be still hopeful? What of new dreams that I can conjure up now? Being my age and disabled has created a new mind-set and spirit within myself. I want to reach out and grasp all I am able to while I still can. I have to accept that my life can never be quite what it use to be and maybe, just maybe, that's a blessing?

Giving up smoking will undoubtably lengthen my life and make me feel healthier, but more importantly I hope it strengthens me to not resign myself to a life of disablity and depression but, opens my spirit to a life of possiblity. What satan means for our harm; God can use for our good. Now is my time and I pray that I can beat this addiction with God's help.

I expect it will be a tough road to travel in the beginning, but I'm more prepared and more determined than I've ever been. I'll keep you posted on this journey and together we'll see where it takes me. Pray for me...

2 comments:

  1. Good Luck Barb and if you can do it maybe even I have a shot at it

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing from my readers so, please do comment.