Wednesday, April 21, 2010

To Plan or Not to Plan

I like to plan. I like the whole process from setting the goals, developing the action steps,implementing the plan through to the follow up. Well, maybe not the follow up because plans have a way of going awry, but man it's nice when it all works out. I love it when the plan comes together, even if it only happens rarely.

Yes, I'm a planner and have always been one. No spontaneity for me, no sirree, that's only for the immature, irresponsible souls that us planners must work around. Give me a good plan any day and I'll feel so much better.

Pish Posh!!


Planning just may be highly overrated. It is true that most plans rarely work out as planned so, why bother?? Too prevent chaos, disorder, accidents or mishaps?

Chaos typically means a state lacking order or predictability.
Disorder is to be thrown into confusion or disarray.
Accident is an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; a mishap.


Honestly, all these are defined as unknown, unforeseen and impossible to predict so, please tell me how I can plan away what I can't predict?? Well, I can't plan away the unknown, but I can plan around the expected and hope nothing out of the ordinary happens. I do this all the time; as do all planners. It makes us feel better, more in control and less vulnerable. It works for us planners until we realize (as I have) that when all the false veneers are stripped away and you get to the truth of it; we really have little, if any real control, anyway.

So what of my planning? Should I throw caution to the wind and just fly by the seat of my pants? I don't think that would be wise. Can one partially plan? Or plan part-time?

I found the following bible verse regarding planning:

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.


Would it be reasonable to say that this means to take our plans to God, trust Him to lead us and regardless of any unforeseen obstacle, He can and will make it all turn out for our good? Uhmmm....trust God to work out our future; isn't that an interesting concept? Perhaps here is my answer to planning....

1 comment:

  1. What a thought provoking post! I'm not sure how I feel about giving our plans to God 100% or keeping God out of them fully. Maybe there is a balance that can be kept between the two. It's definitely something to think about. I love posts like this that make me think! :)
    Thank you for coming to see me on my SITS Day :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing from my readers so, please do comment.