Sunday, January 10, 2010

Time and Time Again

Why it is as time goes by many of us tend to cease or curtail doing things that once brought us immense enjoyment and relaxation? For instance, I like to fish in the summer. Not because I catch anything as a rule or even keep the fish if I do. I just like the experience. I especially like going early in the morning just as the sun sneaks over the horizon and the air is crispy, clean and fresh. The stillness is broken only by the occasional Loon calling or the splash of an errant fish. It’s so refreshing and natural I can feel the woes and stresses of the rat race drop away.

I love, love going to the mountains at least once every season. Their majesty makes me sense God and my place among nature. I feel like I belong to a greater plan and it inspires me. Each season is painted with an unique brush; more than my eye can take in, but my heart soaks up every detail. I wouldn’t want to live there because I know I’d lose my awe and gratitude over time. Familiarity breeds contempt.

Reading is one of my most gratifying experiences. Whether to inspire or carry me away on wings of fantasy; books are my dear friends. If I don’t read regularly I feel a void that I can’t find adequate words to describe. Books feed my spirit, awaken my imagination and bring life to the ordinary.

Going for a cruise with my hubby along the highways and byways engulfs me with joy. We will turn the tunes way up and rock on down the highway or delight in the conversation and ambience the open road creates. It doesn’t matter where we go. It isn’t the destination that matters, but the trip. Getting lost and trying to orientate ourselves by the sun is part of the hoot.

Sometimes in our busyness and rush through life we quit allowing time to do all that once lifted us up over the mundane. Time and time again we’re too busy raising kids, earning a living and all the real life issues can cause us to overlook finding space for those times that in truth, supply us with the nourishment we need to be fulfilled and satisfied.

My goal is to recapture on a consistent basis all that fills me up. The dishes can keep, laundry will wait and overtime will be there when I get back. Time won’t wait. It isn’t just a clique; it truly doesn’t. So, make it a habitual priority to gather up that fishing rod, open that book or whatever saturates your spirit. Make the time. Adjust your life and work your schedule around creating a life not just earning a living.

3 comments:

  1. Oh you have such sage advice...
    I was so shocked to find that it was already the 10th of JAN.

    I too want capture the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as if you found your "Land of Gracious Dreams". Just being with your grandchildren qualifies for gracious, singing and clapping are surely the bonus round!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Theresa @ Cottage Violets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice - I'm so blessed to have you!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing from my readers so, please do comment.