Saturday, January 23, 2010

I am only a Resounding Gong

“To all those who have fallen prey to my piercing tongue I apologise & promise to come up higher...”

Sometimes I wonder why it is so easy for me (being honest) to judge, criticize and undermine others when the same energy and time could be used praising or helping? The problem lies within me. Every time I pass judgement without knowing the full story, which is most of the time, I send into the world more negative emotional energy. Isn’t that just what this world needs? Another naysayer? Critic? Cynic?

In truth, I inflate my own ego each time I do this and I would do well to mind my words because I truly believe what goes around, comes around. Or do I? If I truly believed this wouldn’t I guard my tongue more? After all, unjust and unfair criticism isn’t going to come back to me in a nice way. My actions belie my words. Why is it so difficult to get all the facts before I pass judgement? That might require consideration and valuing the truth more than my wee ego. Such effort involved! Discovering the truth of the situation might actually cause me to feel empathy and a desire to help; good lord I don’t want to go down that road called “caring”.

I often complain about our world being such a cold, heartless organism that has lost all authentic heart for our fellowman. When I encounter someone who initiates a genuine cause experienced at the core of their soul; I am pleasantly taken aback. What a breath of fresh air! So why can’t I breathe love into this world, too? Wouldn’t my time and energy be better valued using it to improve the world I’m so quick to condemn? Heh, is it possible I fall into that abyss of cold, heartless “they”?

Me who sees what wrong with others so effortlessly? Me who knows what everyone else should do? How could that possibly be? Ahhh, my words are my mirror. What value am I if I fail to understand or fail to love? The most excellent advice or wisdom in the world comes from the greatest book ever told:

1 Corinthians 13 (New International Version)
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor, and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

I would do well to pay attention....

2 comments:

  1. I could have written this post (well not put it quite so poetic) - nonetheless my mouth runs off wayyyy too much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post!! I know that I do this too, far to easily!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing from my readers so, please do comment.