Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pure Joy

It’s 3:00 AM and I’ve been driven out of bed for the umpteenth time because of pain in my shoulder, lower back and right leg. It’s been five months since I’ve been able to work or function normally in any real sense of the word and I don’t see any relief in the immediate future. It is discouraging, it is depressing, and it is life.

You never know what curve balls life will throw that can change your life profoundly. You never know what mountain you’ll be asked to climb until it happens and then what...You can drown in a sea of self-pitying defeat or you can rise up early and meet it head on. It’s a choice you have to make and I choose to spit in the eye of adversity.

What better time to reflect than in the wee hours of the morning with the only sounds in the darkness are a ticking clock, my kitty purring and the whistle of a train in the distance. Reflect on not what hurts or what could’ve, would’ve, should’ve been, but what brings me joy.

I don’t mean the artificial joy that comes with buying something new or getting my own way or some other self-serving fixation that may bring a fleeting sense of joy or happiness. I mean the real deal. That which in my darkest moments makes me smile and lifts my spirits.

My grandchildren bring me the genuine article. Just thinking of their smiling faces, innocent questions and pure, unadulterated love brings me a profound delight that is gut-level deep. Aside from my own children nothing or no one has ever given me more happiness than the sight of their countenances. It is pure. It is honest. It is joy.

My puppy brings me joy. There is a rarely a day where I don’t find myself wholeheartedly laughing at his silly antics. He is underfoot, mischievous and quite frankly a pain in the butt, but he makes me feel better no matter how low I am.

Reading brings me joy. There is nothing like the smell and feel of a new hard cover book that can take me away into a different world. During that time I am transported into another life where I see new places, meet unusual people and undergo experiences I’d never take part in otherwise. It is fantasy quintessential.

Starting plants from seeds and watching them blossom into mature plants gives me joy. I wait anxiously like a new mother for those unborn seeds to burst forth and as the infant plants grow I worry and fuss over them like an overprotective hen. If one should die; I feel saddened, but those that brings forth luscious, mouth-watering fruit well...I feel like I touched God. Crazy, maybe...but everyone should try it at least once.

This brings me to my faith. It carries me, lifts me up and brings me joy. Without it I wouldn’t or couldn’t receive all the things that bring me joy. God gives me strength to weather the storms and to remember even in my darkest times He alone can heal the broken-hearted. Knowing this comforts me, heals me and brings me peace so I can truly enjoy all I mentioned and so much more.

Life hurts sometimes and it can be so difficult, but despite the pain if we uncluttered our minds and settled our spirits we don’t have to look far before we can find joy. It is in the ordinary, the every day and the mundane. Its right in front of us if we take the time to look; really look. Next time you’re feeling down, anxious or wrought up take the time to think about and even, write down all that brings you joy. Then rest there for awhile.

4 comments:

  1. I am beyond thrilled to have found your post. I arrived here by way of SITS blog. You made roll call just before me :)

    I do believe that this life is a trial, and yet it is a blessing.

    Thank you for sharing a part of your heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post Ma! Amazing! You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Ma, I can only hope that I am half the woman you are one day! I hope you know how much I look up to you and love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giving you a morning hello, And hoping blessings find you today! :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing from my readers so, please do comment.