Monday, March 22, 2010

Becoming a Tea Granny


Just a short update on my plans to ease my way into the smoke-free world. I no longer smoke upstairs in my office, bedroom, etc. I cut that out a week ago. Already I'm adjusting to it. Today I designate all, but my kitchen a smoke-free zone. So no more lighting up as I read, watch TV or visit in the livingroom. By Thursday I declare my entire home smoke-free and have to go outside until April 1st, my official quit date.

The idea behind this is to give myself several days to adjust to not smoking in my usual spots. Of course, I need to substitute my habit with another habit. I do believe as the professionals agree that we don't break habits; we replace them. So what will I do?

The obvious like chewing gum or sucking on a mint will help, but I need more of a new ritual because much of my smoking is associated my daily routines and rituals. Knowing that I am a ritual person tells me that just chewing gum or sucking on a candy won't be effective in the long run.

Lately I've grown quite fond of tea; especially the wellness blends. In fact, I find I'm drinking less and less coffee which wasn't a goal, but heh, it doesn't hurt. Tea for myself is more of a ritualistic drink and always has been so, I'm going to use this to help me create new habits. I've chosen refreshing cleansing teas that encourage good health and hopefully, help create a new mindset. I'll build my tea-time rituals around those times when I smoked, thus replacing the smoking habit with a new habit. Wish me luck and pray for me.

I have nine days left to get ready for this great challenge and I'm trying to be as prepared has possible this time. I expect it to be a battle after 40 years, but if I come to the front lines fully equipped I should win the war. I can't ponder too much the possibility of losing the battle. That is the devil speaking lies because I know many people who after years of smoking who have succeeded. I shall be free, too!

2 comments:

  1. I think you are doing everything right - like they said people don't plan to fail, they fail to plan!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sound to me like a great plan!!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing from my readers so, please do comment.